Beazer’s Garden Workshops is Hiring!
Upper West Side Manhattan
1 Lead Afterschool Garden Educator
1 Junior Afterschool Garden Educator
Part-time/ 1099 contract
Monday-Friday, 2-6 pm, Sept-June
Compensation: hourly rates
Beazer’s Garden Workshops has guided urban environmental education programs for over 20 years. We work with Public, Private, and Charter Schools, Community based organizations, and other groups to install and maintain garden spaces and provide educational workshops for students of all ages.
We integrate eco curriculum with day school programming to enhance students’ academic competencies and promote awareness of environmental science to foster and develop an appreciation for nature.
Help us teach kids to know, grow and eat healthy food and guide them in their roles as stewards in the urban environment!
We are looking for 2 part-time, flexible, and experienced educators to guide student and adult groups in topics related to ecology, gardening, nutrition, sustainability, green infrastructure, civics/stewardship, and other related topics.
You will represent Beazer’s Garden Workshops as an educator in one of our partner locations.
You will be responsible for creating and conducting daily garden-based lessons for elementary school students. We provide curriculum direction but encourage educators to develop and utilize their own content and style of teaching.
Educator Responsibilities & Required Skills
- At least 2+ years solid gardening experience, comfortable working outdoors, able to bend and lift 50lbs, comfortable with garden insects and pests, an interest in insects and IPM, a plus. To assist in the maintenance of a school rooftop garden. The ability to help train parent garden volunteers is a plus.
- Experience developing garden and environmental-related curricula aligned with the Common Core standards for reading and math and Next Generation Science Standards. Curriculum sample required.
- Experience and ability to effectively lead students in garden-based activities and homework help while providing a fun and safe learning environment.
- Maintain student educational records and behavior notes while maintaining confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees outside the school.
- Organized, with effective time management and planning skills; with quick-thinking, problem-solving skills, and the ability to improvise.
- Must enjoy working with children, are creative, and patient with a good sense of humor. Additional skills in arts, music, yoga, dance, sports, etc. are a plus.
- Must be responsible, with the ability to work independently and in a team, and interact professionally and respectfully with school staff, students, and parents. French or Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Must be DOE, DOI, or PETS fingerprinted and able to pass the state background check with clearance to work in the US. Current CPR/First Aid Training, DOE & DOH mandated training plus.
- At least 2+ years work experience in Childhood Education, NYS Teaching Certification, Associates or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, a plus.
- Administrative skills, working knowledge of Google Classroom, Padlet, and Social Media a plus.
We follow CDC and NYS COVID-19 recommendations and are requiring educators to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
Garden Educators may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between Beazer’s Garden and the contractor and is subject to change.
Fill out this online application, and email your cover letter, resume CV, and the contact info of three relevant work references to [email protected] with “Afterschool Garden Educator” in the subject line.
We work with individuals and organizations small and large.
Contact us to customize a workshop for you!
We work with individuals and organizations small and large. Contact us to customize a workshop for you!