PS 84 EnviroSci Garden Enrichment Workshops
We are excited afterschool offer services for the 2022-2023 School year!
Beazer’s Garden Workshops is a single-focus workshop program afterschool provider for PS 84.
Our Environmental Science and Garden enrichment workshops provide students with hands-on activities to learn about their role in ecology.
They learn to know and grow healthy and delicious fruits, veggies, and herbs in the garden!
- Activities are rich in academic connections to science, social studies, math, language arts, nutrition, physical fitness, and creative arts!
- It also supports social-emotional growth as students learn in a relaxed atmosphere with their peers and caring educators.
- Gardening programs grow more than plants, they grow healthy and aware future leaders and citizens of the world.
Our goal is to:
- Provide families with a reliable resource for after school care.
- Provide a safe, educationally productive environment for students to continue their work in ecology related subjects.
Our Afterschool Schedule
Mondays – Tuesdays – Wednesdays – Thursdays – Friday
from 2:40PM -5:35PM
Fall- Sept 12 – Dec 23: 15 weeks
Active Outdoor/Indoor Gardening
Study of our cultural and local connections to plants and place, compost and soil
study, long-term art/build projects, seasonal harvest & putting the garden to bed
Winter- Jan 3 – Mar 10: 9 weeks
(closed Feb 20-24)
Active Indoor Gardening
Indoor garden-based work, seed starting, preserving food, market prep,
technology-supported lessons, insect study, continue long-term art/build projects
Spring- Mar 13 – Jun 23: 14 weeks
(closed April 8-14)
Active Outdoor/Indoor Gardening
Waking up the garden, weather, and patterns of nature study, planting, harvest
markets, complete long-term art/build projects
School Closings by day of the week
Fall: Sept 12- Dec 23
Mondays— 9/26, 10/10
Tuesdays- 9/27, 11/8
Thursdays- 11/3, 11/24
Winter: Jan 3- Mar 10
Mondays- 1/2, 1/16
Spring: Mar 13- June 23
Mondays- 5/29, 6/19
Thursdays- 4/6, 6/8
Fridays- 3/24, 4/7, 4/21, 6/9
- You can pay by installments, with at least one full semester paid at a time.
- Fees for school closings will be prorated and refunded to you. (List of days below by day of the week)
- Cancellation of enrollment must be within 15 days of application for a full refund.
- You can cancel enrollment up to 15 days before the new term starts for a prorated refund.
- *We do not offer refunds or price adjustments after sessions start.
- If not enrolled for the whole school year, there will be a $25 fee applied each semester during re-enrollment.
(it will appear as Beazer’s Garden Body, Bath & Home, Inc. dba/ Beazer’s Garden Workshops)
Mail a check to:
Beazer’s Garden Workshops
3464 Jerome Ave
Bronx, NY 10467
Credit Card / Paypal
Enrollment is based on a “first come, first served” basis.
Enroll your child 1-5 days a week, for the entire school year or by Fall, Winter, and Spring terms.
- For changes to your enrollment schedule, such as day of the week or semester selection, please email Ms. B. at least 3 weeks before semester start.
- We encourage regular attendance to get the full benefit of time in the EnviroSci Garden.
- We are not able to offer make-up days for missed days.
Enviro-Sci Garden enrichment care is not in operation during school closings, or on early dismissal days.
- The program runs “rain or shine” unless there are major weather warning issues for the city.
- On very rainy days, and in the Winter, sessions will be held in our indoor garden classroom, otherwise classes are held in the rooftop garden.
- We follow AccuWeather for updates and will inform families about potential program closing due to inclement weather before the school day is over by email or robocall.
Day to Day
The rooftop garden is an outdoor classroom. Please make sure your child has appropriate coverage for being in either chilly or warm weather conditions.
Your child will meet with our Garden instructors in the school cafeteria at day school dismissal.
- Students have time for an afternoon snack, group mental wellness check in, and quiet time after a long day at school.
- We have 30 minutes for students to complete homework with instructor support.
- Our instructors engage students in activities that are rich in academic connections to science, social studies, math, language arts, nutrition, physical fitness, and creative arts!
- Students work together in the garden, learning about the science and magic of nature.
- We also support social-emotional growth as students learn in a relaxed atmosphere with their peers.
Student Supply List
We provide Garden Gear for each student: Garden visors, aprons, tote bags, journals, and insect repellent bracelets are provided by us. We will keep their garden items at school, so they are not forgotten at home. If students take these items home, please remember to send them in for their next session.
Please make sure your child has:
1. a refillable water bottle
2. Weather appropriate clothing and layers, ex: hats, gloves, long sleeves, and things they can get dirty in. etc.
**Please make sure each of your child’s personal items from home are labeled with their name. We are not responsible for any lost or misplaced personal items.
Our program runs from 3pm-5:30pm. We have one dismissal time, from 5:35-5:45pm, anything before that is considered early pickup.
We start packing up the whole group around 5:20pm and come down to the main school entrance at 5:35pm to dismiss. You do not have to call to let us know you are at the school for regular dismissal.
We can accommodate early pickups at 4:30pm. Please arrange ahead of time with Ms. B by email. Early pickups at various times requires one of my two staff members to leave the group to come downstairs with the student that is leaving.
This will enable the rest of the students appropriate supervised time and my educators uninterrupted time to continue their projects.
Please wait outside the main entrance, our group leaders will have you sign out your child, who will be waiting inside the doors, this helps to control traffic from other departing programs. Please be patient with this process as it is for the safety of our students.
Please notify us at least 2 days ahead of time for any other changes to your daily schedule. It is difficult to take calls throughout the session while engaging with students. “Day of” requests before program starts are likely to get missed.
- Your child will only be released to authorized individuals named on your application. The authorized caregiver will need to show proper identification to sign out the child.
There is a $25 late fee for pickups after 6pm.
The garden is a dynamic and active space, and student safety is one of our primary concerns.
As in our day school program, students are reminded daily of school and garden rules, and their responsibility to be kind, respectful, open-minded, and ready to learn and have fun.
- My educators work with students to create agreeable expectations and consequences, giving students a voice and role in their behavior.
- If a student is having a hard time with expectations, they get verbal reminders, get redirected in tasks, or encouraged to take a short break from the activity if they are not able to continue working with the group in a safe way.
- If a student repeatedly has a hard time adjusting, we will reach out to families to discuss a solution and come up with suitable “consequences” for students.
- We work with the school counselors and other staff to support student needs.
Beazer’s Garden Workshops is not responsible for administering any medication to your child. We ask that you refrain from packing medication of any kind, other than asthma inhalers (with a signed doctor’s note), with your child.
- If your child is ill with any of the following symptoms the night before school: fever of over 100 degrees, coughing, vomiting, consistent headache, rash, head lice, nausea, diarrhea, listlessness, uncharacteristic low energy, sore throat, sneezing or runny nose, eye redness with mucus discharge, please keep your child home.
- *If your child becomes ill during the school day, the school will notify you to pick them up. They cannot attend aftercare.
- Your child may return to the program after symptoms have abated for 24 hours.
We encourage children to give each other space even when working outdoors. We do not require children to wear a mask during garden program, but if you require your child to, please let us know.
All Beazer’s Garden Workshops instructors are vaccinated and closely adhere to the NYC Department of Health guidelines. All staff and participants will follow quarantine and proof of a negative test result in the event of a COVID-19 symptoms and diagnosis.
CONTACTING MS. B & Afterschool Staff
If you have questions or concerns, you can reach Ms. B by email, by phone, or by making an appointment to Zoom or visit the school roof garden on Monday or Friday afternoons.
Please do not rely on PS 84 School staff, garden volunteers or garden staff to get important information to Ms. B.
Please bear in mind that Ms. B teaches Pre-k- 5th grade during the school day and then runs the afterschool program in the afternoon. She may not be able to answer or return calls immediately or meet with unscheduled visitors. It is best to leave a message or schedule an appointment.
Phone: Provided in emails
Email: [email protected]
Please call Ms. B, an onsite afterschool garden staff member, school security or the appropriate authority for your situation.
In the event of a school evacuation, we will relocate to Central Park West 96th Street entrance, PS 75 or PS9 (alternative location) depending on the situation. Caregivers/emergency contacts will be called by our staff.
Beazer’s Garden Workshops
- We are a single focus workshop provider.
- EIN: 85-1223146
- DOE Vendor #BEA223146 NYC and State MWBE- FMS Vendor #VC00229957